What is CBD Distillate?

CBD Distillate

CBD has surged in popularity over the past few years, with experts touting a variety of health benefits including treating anxiety, chronic pain, insomnia, and so much more. Since it’s humble beginnings, the extraction process for CBD has evolved significantly.

In the past, people once depended on simple extraction- but today’s extraction processes are anything but simple. That being said, one of the newest processes of extraction is known as distillation. This process is garnering a lot of attention across the CBD industry- there are some who believe that CBD and THC distillate are the future. However, there are still some who would ask what exactly cannabis distillate is and what makes it so special.

What is CBD Distillate?

Before we can define CBD distillate, we must first define the process of cannabis distillation.

Distillation is: the action of purifying a liquid by heating or cooling it or the extraction of the most important part of something.

When it comes to CBD, distillation creates a CBD concentrate that is cleaner than other types of CBD concentrate because they are pure on a molecular level.

CBD distillate is the most potent type of CBD concentrate on the market. Distillation allows the cannabinoids to be extracted for a pure, potent, and versatile product with infinite potential.

The world of cannabis has evolved.

THC & CBD Distillate

Cannabis distillation applies to both CBD from hemp plants and THC from marijuana plants.

So, what is it that makes distillate beneficial? First of all, CBD distillate is one of the purest forms you can get. If you have a CBD distillate, it is approximately 80% CBD. The other 20% is comprised of other plant extracts, including minor cannabinoids and terpenes.

Plus, since it’s so concentrated, it’s guaranteed to be one of the most potent forms of CBD you’ll find. Whether you are using CBD for the therapeutic benefits it offers or you are using THC recreationally, distillate is going to give you the most “bang for your buck”. You can use less to get the same results.

How to Use CBD Distillate

Just like with the many other forms of CBD, there are several ways that you can use CBD distillate to enjoy the benefits it may provide. In fact, distillate is actually one of the most versatile forms of CBD- which is one of the reasons it is so popular.

A few of the most popular ways to use CBD distillate include:

  • Dab/vape
  • Edibles
  • Topicals/beauty products

Advantages & Disadvantages of CBD Distillate

As always, there are some advantages and some disadvantages of using CBD distillate, which we’ll look at below:


First of all, CBD distillate is one of the most potent forms of CBD you can find. It’s an almost odorless, tasteless way to enjoy the benefits offered by CBD. Therefore, this form of CBD is likely to stay.

The great thing about CBD distillate is the potency because it means that you can use less product to achieve the same effects- you get more for your money.

Then, there’s the fact that CBD distillate is so versatile. You can use it alone or add it your favorite recipes to create some delicious edibles. If you have aches and pains, you can add it to your favorite topical to ease the ache.


Even though CBD distillate is one of the most potent and purest forms, it still has several disadvantages.

First of all, since it is purified so much, it doesn’t contain many of the terpenes that work with CBD, THC, and the others to create the entourage effect.

Many people believe that CBD distillate is the beginning of “engineered” cannabis, which is another potential disadvantage. Even so, this isn’t likely to slow the increasing popularity of these products.


Though CBD distillate is one of the newest products in the cannabis arena, it is already becoming one of the most popular among manufacturers and consumers.

The advanced tech is definitely going to cause the industry to evolve even more and change the way consumers benefit from both CBD and THC, providing a pure and potent alternative.

Read: What is CBD Crumble?


Beyond Cannabis: Other Plants That Contain Cannabinoids – CBD School. 25 Apr. 2017, cbdschool.com/cannabinoids-beyond-cannabis/. Accessed 20 June 2022.

“The Entourage Effect: The Science of Combining Cannabinoids.” CNBS, www.cnbs.org/cannabinoids/the-entourage-effect/.

WebMD. “Cannabidiol (Cbd): Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Dosage, and Warning.” Webmd.com, 2019, www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1439/cannabidiol-cbd.

What Are Terpenes in Cannabis? – CBD School. 13 Apr. 2017, cbdschool.com/terpenes-in-cannabis/. Accessed 20 June 2022.

“What Is CBD Distillate? Everything You Need to Know | CBDnerds 2022.” CBDNerds, cbdnerds.com/articles/what-is-cbd-distillate/. Accessed 20 June 2022.